Board Social Media Guide
Social Media is a powerful tool that has the potential to promote your organization and your mission to more people. However what many people get wrong about social media is that it’s a convenient way to get your message out there, it does still take strategy, planning, and teamwork to make sure your messages are seen by the right people at the right time. One of the easiest ways to make your social media content more powerful is to recruit Social Media Champions who will like, share, and post their own content on behalf of your organization.
When you post something on social media, it is only seen by those who already subscribe to your organization. However when someone other than your organization interacts with that content, or creates and shares content of their own - your reach can expand exponentially! Your board members should be passionate about your mission and excited to help you promote Give Local Midland! Using these tips and sample messages your board members can help you have an even greater impact on Give Local Midland!
Share the story of why this organization matters to you and why you are passionate about their mission. People respond better to someone’s personal experience than a generic ask. Pull at their heartstrings and show them why this is a cause worth caring about.
Put your money where your mouth is! If you are already planning on donating to your organization on Give Local Midland, consider setting some of that money aside to motivate your network to take part in the fun. Offer to donate $5 for every share one of your social media posts gets - or for every new donor that makes a donation! Get creative and have fun!
Whenever the organization you are supporting posts content on their social media page, you can help to make that post go the extra mile by liking it or sharing it with your own friends. It’s a quick and easy way to make sure more people are seeing those messages and learning how they can support their mission.
Collaborate with other Social Media Champions! Interacting with other board members or supporters on social media can be a great way to have an organic conversation about your organization that also promotes your cause and your participation in Give Local Midland! Don’t be afraid to use that @mention to promote a little friendly competition either!
Set a weekly quota for yourself to make sure that you’re staying connected and helping your organization reach their goals. Our team of fundraising experts recommends at least one original post every week as well as several likes and shares to make sure that no one misses a beat this Give Local Midland!
Don’t forget to use #hashtags in your posts! Hashtags are a great way to be a part of the conversation and get your message out there to more people. Whether it’s #hashtags that represent your cause like #animals #literacy or #hunger or #hashtags that promote the event #giving #fundraising #donate or #nonprofits - using hashtags is the perfect way to engage with more people throughout the great social network!
Sample Social Media Posts
- Follow [@ ORG NAME] on twitter for live updates throughout Give Local Midland!
- I am proud to support [@ ORG NAME] on Give Local Midland to help them make a difference in Midland, MI!
- Do you care about [CAUSE]? Support [@ORG NAME] on Give Local Midland!
- I can’t wait to support [@ORG NAME] on May 7th for Give Local Midland! Will you join me in making a difference?
- Help [@ ORG NAME] reach their goal of [GOAL] by giving on Give Local Midland!
- How much good can a community do in 24 hours? Find out on May 7th for Give Local Midland!
- Don’t forget to head to https://www.givelocalmidland.org to support
- On May 7th I am proud to support [ORG NAME] in Give Local Midland in an effort to raise awareness for [YOUR CAUSE/MISSION] and make a positive impact on Midland, MI. Join me in making a difference in Midland, MI!
- On May 7th I will be joining [ORG NAME] to celebrate Give Local Midland - an exciting day for our community to recognize all of the amazing work nonprofits do and the impact they have on Midland, MI and beyond! Head to https://www.givelocalmidland.org to learn more
- Have you liked [ORG NAME] on Facebook yet? If you haven’t you’re missing out! With Give Local Midland right around the corner you’ll want to check out their page to see the impact supporters will have on [CAUSE/MISSION] and our community.
- Save the date! May 7th is Give Local Midland and I can’t wait to support [ORG NAME] and all of the great work they do for Midland, MI.
- Still don’t know which organizations to support on Give Local Midland? I’ve got a few ideas for you! Check out [ORG NAME] to see all of the incredible ways your contribution will have an impact on Midland, MI for the Give Local Midland on May 7th!
- Friends, with only [X TIME] until Give Local Midland, will you join me in supporting [ORG NAME] on May 7th? Every dollar makes a difference in [MISSION/CAUSE]. Help me and [ORG NAME] make Midland, MI a better place!
- Give Local Midland is here! Over the next 24 hours Midland, MI will come together to support all of the incredible nonprofits in our community. Today I am proud to support [ORG NAME] and help them promote their mission and have a greater impact on Midland, MI.
- Wow! [ORG NAME] has already raised [X AMOUNT] during Give Local Midland! With only [X AMOUNT] hours left - will you help them reach [# OF DONORS GOAL/AMOUNT RAISED GOAL] by 12AM on May 8th? Every contribution today has a direct impact on [CAUSE/MISSION]!